Sunday, March 16, 2014

Home is where the heart is

"I'll go home," I said. "I'll save money and get together my things for New York," I said.

Upon my arrival to sweet Franklin, Tennessee on Thursday night I was overjoyed. I hadn't seen my family in two months and it felt like an eternity. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought, it sure would be nice to be sitting on a beach with a drink in my hand, but I knew this trip home is exactly what I needed.

My family is a funny pack. We've got my fourteen year old sister who is always moving, bouncing, cheering, eating and asking if she can play with my hair. My mother who is overwhelmingly caring and loving & making sure I am getting enough to eat since I'm the only one in the family who is a vegetarian. My dad who is always making me laugh, the life of the party and serving me delicious dinners.

Basically, there is never a dull moment at my house. Some of my friends never want to go home. They're always planning and saying they don't miss their family. How could you not miss these goons?

My eleven days at home were perfect. In the mornings while everyone was away, I woke up whenever I wanted, read my Bible and drank my coffee, watched Gilmore Girls reruns and scrolled through Pinterest.

In the afternoon I would venture to my grandma's, walk around downtown Franklin, travel to different Forever21 and Target stores, and lay out in my backyard. Around 3 p.m. everyone returned home and I'd never been so happy to see their faces. I love "me time" but it sure was nice to be reunited with my people every afternoon.

We did things like attend Centennial High School's incoming freshman night where I was walking through the halls with memories rushing through my mind. I was actually giddy and much, much happier to be there than my sister. We also went to the Poplar Grove talent show, which was as comical as you can imagine. A bunch of middle schoolers showcasing their talents of singing and dancing. Dinners at LaHacienda are a must and you better believe I ate fried pickles at 55 South while people watching.

As much as I want to take an adventure after college, move away and explore, I do love my little corner of the world. Falling asleep just a few steps away from the people I love the most. It's a hard choice and when it comes down to it, we will see.

I'm grateful for living in this town for my almost 21 years of life.

 Franklin Mercantile to begin Kendall's spring break on Friday





 Thanks Kendall for snapping these pics

 I'll always love you, Chipotle.

No comments:

Post a Comment