Wednesday, May 28, 2014

First Weekend in the City


Day one in New York City? Check. Yesterday around 7:25 p.m. I landed at LaGuardia, got my bags and got into my cab alone to head to our hotel where I was meeting Susanna. On the way into LaGuardia in the plane I saw the Statue of Liberty and the World Trade Center Building, which I had never seen before. The Empire State Building was lit up red, white and blue at the top for Memorial Day Weekend.

Once I got to the hotel Susanna and I got ready and walked a few blocks to find dinner where we stumbled upon Angelo's Pizza. We split the onion and pepper pizza which was HUGE but delicious! After dinner the two of us came back to the hotel and made our NYC Bucket Lists; it made us think of the fun aspects to New York instead of get nervous and anxious in the hotel room, which we were doing.

It's weird to just hop off of a plane and land in a somewhat foreign city and know that this will be your home for 11 weeks. It hit me when I got to hotel that this whole experience was real and that this was no four day vacation.

This morning I woke up at 6:50 a.m. central time. What in the world was I thinking? I couldn't sleep though when I knew the city was a few steps away. Susanna and I got ready and walked to the subway to buy our first MetroCard. We definitely felt like real New Yorkers! The two of us headed to Union Square to drink our Starbucks and figure out where our building is that we were living in. We looked around Union Square which is one of my favorite areas that I have visited. Thankfully I get to call this place my home for 11 weeks.


After coffee we got on the subway to head to Susanna's internship on Broadway at Tarte. From there we walked to Bryant Park and ate lunch at the Southwest Porch. Accidentally we stumbled upon a wedding and it was such a hidden gem. From Bryant Park we walked to the subway and rode to Central Park. It's so touristy (yes, I said touristy after only living here 4 days) but it still is so beautiful. I waved hello to Eloise at the Plaza then quickly waved goodbye as we headed to meet Frances at the hotel.



Frances got lost on the subway. Oh Franz.. We met up at Washington Square Park where we got our student IDs and then ventured to Meatpacking where Frances & I work. We saw the Alice + Olivia headquarters and the DANNIJO showroom. It was so unreal standing there knowing I would be ringing the bell to go up in just a few days.



For dinner the four of us, Fran's friend Ren is the 4th, went to Ellen's Stardust Diner on Times Square. It is 100% a tourist trap but how could someone pass up your waiters and waitresses singing to you?! I was in broadway heaven. The waitresses sang songs from Frozen and Les Mis, and all that was missing with Wicked! Our waitress' name was Zerby and basically we were just laughing out loud the whole time.


Monday was a boring day, we moved into our apartment which is nice after we added some good TLC and a massive trip to Bed, Bath & Beyond. I celebrated with a huge ice cream cone. Let me tell you, there is food on every corner and it is so hard to pass up the $2 pretzel every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment