Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Big Lights Will Inspire You

Before I sat down to write this blog post I thought to myself, "Only pick your absolute favorite pictures. No one wants a long list of them." Well, seeing as I have no self control and picked over 50 photos to share with you, that didn't happen like planned. If you compare it though to the 600 I have in my iPhoto library, I'd say I did pretty well.

Ginny, Frances, Kendal, Ann Marie, Susanna, me
Upon arriving to LaGuardia, we were picked up in a limo. Not a bad day when you're riding through the streets of New York with your best friends in a limo that's blaring "The Way You Look Tonight." If that wasn't a sign that I am where I belong, then I'm not sure what is.
**future husband take notes**
Ginny, Susanna, me, Frances
Making a quick stop at Serena Vander Woodsen's house 
The New York Palace
Seeing the ice skating rink at Rockefeller Center was unreal. We've all seen so many photos of this so to actually lay my eyes on it was awesome. We saw the NBC news rooms in the back and of course spotted the Free People store on the opposite side.
Ann Marie, Susanna, Frances, Ginny, me, Kendal
The obsession with Gossip Girl was brought to a whole new level in New York. We found all the hot spots where scenes were filmed, where the characters lived, and even ate what the characters ate (pistachio macarons, call me Blair). Thursday night we went to The Empire Hotel where Chuck Bass lived. "Remain cool" is what everyone kept saying but when our waitress told us that she had met him before we lost it.
"One Chuck Bass, please."

Ann Marie, me + Ginny
We went to dinner after The Empire Hotel at Quality Meats. There we split so many great meals and even saw Mariah Carey. She was eating in a private room upstairs but conveniently she walked up the stairs right by our table. We all thought she looked famous, but were unsure if it truly was Mariah Carey until she became a diva walking up the stairs and looking around for people to recognize her.
Ann Marie leaned over to me and said, "I know it's her because of that video you showed me!"
Outside of The Empire Hotel was Lincoln Center which hosts New York Fashion Week
Friday morning stroll through Central Park
Our childhood dream came true - we dined at The Plaza with Eloise
I had the Central Park Pancakes which were delicious and they had magical syrup. The waiter saw us gawking over the Eloise menus so he gave each one of us our own copy.
Two divas being divas
Susanna + I



The Eloise store at the bottom of The Plaza was a dream come true.
"Charge it, please"
Ann Marie, Susanna, Kendal, Frances, 
me, Ginny
Susanna + Chan take Central Park
"We looked at our kingdom, we were finally here" -- Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Fresh Princess of New York, it has a good ring to it, right?
Ann Marie + I
Another dream come true, shopping at Bergdorf Goodman's.. Yes, I look like a total tourist but I had to take this photo and reminisce on "Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf's"
Dylan's Candy Bar
me + Frances
My love for macarons will never end. 
A permanent smile was placed on my face for four days 
Celine Dion, right? ;)


On the steps of The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Top of The Empire State Building
"Big lights will inspire you"


Saturday was full of Teen Vogue Fashion University, the day was finally here!
During this seminar I learned to never give up. If I want an internship at some largely famous company, work until I get it. Everyone on the panel was so encouraging and they offered great advice. The whole weekend was so inspiring and really uplifting. 
The panel that began the weekend on Saturday morning was incredible. It was Amy Astley, the Editor in Chief at Teen Vogue, 
I ended up here on my lunch break. Next time I'm in New York I will make it a priority to see a musical and I wouldn't mind it if it was Matilda because we had the same wallpaper in our rooms.


One of my favorite speakers of the weekend was Jessie Randall of Loeffler Randall shoes and handbags. She was so sweet and you could tell that she really cared about her customers. A handwritten note is sent to each person that buys a pair of shoes or a handbag and she is always hosting meet and greets in stores like Saks on Fifth Avenue.
After her presentation was over I went to the back of the room where her PR person was and got to talk to her and get her email address. I would love to intern with them!
My last seminar of the day was with Neil Blumenthal of Warby Parker. I had heard of his glasses before from a friend. Sitting front row right in front of him and the accessory director Sheena of Teen Vogue was really interesting & I loved being able to be close. 
Warby Parker sells their glasses + frames for $95 total. You can go online and have them send you 5 pairs of glasses that you think you would like, wear them around your house for a few days, and then if you decide that you do like a pair, you can send all 5 back plus your prescription and they will then send you the glasses of your choice + your prescription in them.

Sheena Smith, Accessories Director at Teen Vogue
The Blogger panel for all students was right up my alley. Amy Astley hosted the panel with the Into the Gloss founders and The Coveteurs founders. 
Into the Gloss and The Coveteur are both very popular fashion & beauty blogs. Emily Weiss, of Into the Gloss, was a Teen Vogue intern and it was inspiring to hear her stories and how she made it into the blogging world.
me, Ann Marie + Susanna
After my seminars and the rest of my friends returning from a day of shopping in Soho, we hopped in a cab to go to dinner at The Hurricane Club. The one hour wait was totally worth it because I had the best sushi I had ever eaten and the atmosphere was so fabulous. 
Kendal's 21st birthday is October 29th but why not celebrate a little early in NYC?!
Ginny + me
After dinner we headed to The Standard Beer Garden which almost every person we talked to recommended. 
Obviously I hide my emotions very well....
Saturday diva night. It's pretty strange and awesome to think that three years ago we were complete strangers and now we are traveling together + living together. Always thankful for my partner in crime!
Nothing but the best

New York, you've won me
If I could wear this outfit every day, I would.
Sunday morning well spent with Phyllis Posnick, the Fashion Editor at Vogue.
It was surreal to hear her speak and to know that she works with the incredible line up at Vogue, like Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington. 
We did it!

My favorite thing about New York was walking everywhere. We started in the Upper East Side at Laudree, found our way through Central Park, then ended up a little bit into the Upper West Side. We stumbled upon Magnolia Bakery, Intermix, Wink, Kate Spade, Pookie & Sebastian, and more.


It really can't be much better, fall in New York with your best friends. I am so thankful for this opportunity and so grateful. It was surreal walking the streets of New York when I have been dreaming of this forever. Getting accepted to Teen Vogue's Fashion University was humbling and I couldn't even have dreamt of that. 
New York, you were good to me. This is not goodbye, it is an I'll see you soon!
Now to start planning and praying about my future, my summer plans + where I'll end up.

Here is the link to my post on HelloPerfect.com
Teen Vogue Fashion University -- Hello Perfect

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh Chan!! So glad y'all had fun!! Can't wait until you rule the fashion world!!

    ReplyDelete