Wednesday, June 26, 2013

This new spark inside

My weeks are now full of: perfecting my resume, writing for Exhibit Eight's website & creating their Twitter account, and looking into internships. I don't think I have been this excited about something in a long time. Okay, well I do know when I was this excited, it was when I saw Celine Dion in concert in January.. Ha! Other than that, this spark inside of me has been lit. 
Have you found your passion? Is it new or have you always had it?
While I still stay up late some nights wondering how I so quickly left Education to jump into Journalism, I know this is where I am supposed to be right now. No more comparisons to other people's lives, whether they are studying abroad or have the "perfect" internship, I am here and I am content. I've decided there's no need to compare myself to others because we are all different. No one was created the same, so why does everyone always try to be a replica of someone else? 
I'm guilty of this, I'm not saying I don't think sometimes "Her life is so cool, why isn't that me?" I'm trying to be done with that thought process. If you don't like your major, change it. If you want to apply for that internships in LA, apply for it. If you want to get that tattoo you've always wanted, go get it. If you want to finally apply for that mission trip, apply for it.
There's no need to let the life you want pass you by. Why don't you go out there and grab it? Too many people are settling with what is easy or what society says, but why? 
I know some of my friends joke about how I seem like a feminist. I just think women should not be passive or let life walk over them. I want to empower women so they know anything is possible. Stop looking at people's lives on Instagram and Twitter to compare theirs to yours. You won't get these days back. I love social media, almost too much probably, but if you let it drag you down or if it makes you pity your own life, stop. Sign off. Give it a rest and find your own peace of mind. I wouldn't classify myself as a "feminist" but I do love strong women who influence others positively.
Wouldn't you want to be that role model to others? Like the quote from Steve Martin above, I too think you should "be so good they can't ignore you."
*steps down from soapbox*

No comments:

Post a Comment