Saturday, June 29, 2013

Olá Brasil!

A few weeks ago I was told a little secret I wasn't allowed to share until now! My best friend, Jennifer, who has been by my side since second grade (along with her twin sister Marissa) has decided to go on a mission. She's Mormon, you can read about their religion here. Jen is about to go on the adventure of a lifetime! Come November 20th Jen will pack up and head to Brazil where she will serve for a year and a half. Along with being in Brazil, she is also going to learn Portuguese! How cool is that?!

If you know me, then most likely you know or have heard of Jennifer and Marissa. From elementary school together, middle school apart, half of high school together, and now college apart, you'd think it would be the time to be together again. That's what the pattern has looked like all of our lives. Instead, Jennifer will be across the world and Marissa will stay in Utah. The great news is that both of my best friends are coming home at the end of July!! Franklin will welcome them with open arms and I can't wait to spend a few weeks with them before I go back to school.

In my life I never thought I would be so lucky to have two best friends like Jen and Marissa. To say you've had the same best friend for more than half of your life is pretty special. Jen is the most kind-hearted and sweetest person I've ever met. She is always there for me and I can truly count on her for anything. Whether it's a phone call to tell her about my first kiss or me calling to tell her my grandfather passed away, I can count on her to be there for me during any moment of my life. She's a loyal friend and is even more loyal to her church. Through their friendship I have learned to accept other religions, no matter how big or little the differences are. Their family has welcomed me as the third daughter and I am forever thankful for them. If you can't tell, I'm a huge fan of my best friends and think the world of them.

While Jennifer is on her mission, communication will be scarce. In order to talk to her the only thing we can do it write letters to each other. Definitely not something we are use to since right now and always we have been a phone call away, but being a pen pal will be fun! Also, I'm trying to convince her to let me write her blog for her while she's away. A lot of missionaries send out weekly emails but we were thinking it would be different if she blogged.. well me blogging for her, but her story! We can see where that takes us later in the year.

This change will be hard and was unexpected, but I couldn't be prouder of Jen! She is following her heart and doing what she feels called to do. Thinking about her changing people's lives in Brazil while her life is being changed as well is so exciting. I can't wait to see the changes that happen during the year and a half she is gone, and I can't wait to write letters to her every week! Long distance friendship here we come in November, but for now we will keep it in the United States.
Jennifer, me, Marissa- Kids Country Music Marathon, 3rd grade
Jennifer, me, Marissa - my Christmas party 
We are probably in 6th/7th grade
Me, Marissa, Jennifer - beginning of high school
Marissa, me, Jennifer - senior trip to Vegas, Summer 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment