Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Big Gay Icecream & a Piano Bar

Wednesday the 30th was a great day! Ali and her mom, Sus, landed in New York and were here until Sunday. It is always so fun to show friends around the city and to see familiar faces. Especially those that lived with you for 9 months.

Before we met up with Ali and Sus, after work Dannijo had company happy hour. My internal love for bonding was going crazy. We all went to the Brass Monkey which was just a few blocks away and sat on the rooftop bar. I've said it at least 50 times and here I am to say it again - I could not have asked for a better summer internship. The people at Dannijo teach me something new every day, whether it be sales, social media, new restaurants to try, PR or good wine, I'm lucky to spend four days a week with them.

Every day I am excited to go to work and see them; it is weird to think that soon I won't see them. The company is pretty small and so it is like a family. Truly I was beyond blessed this summer to know each one of these people and work for Dannijo, it'll be hard to say goodbye.
After happy hour I met up with Ali and Sus in the West Village with Fran. Susanna was seeing Mamma Mia that night, another item she had to check off of her bucket list. We ran up and surprised Ali and Sus at Rosemary's then walked over to Big Gay Icecream, yes that is the name of the store.

Surrounded by unicorns, rainbows and the Golden Girls, Big Gay Icecream is always packed and usually has a line out of the door with everyone trying to try the "Salty Pimp" or the "Bea Arthur."
The line was totally worth the wait, and the calories were worth it as well. So many treats packed into one, this might be the best icecream in the city. Ali's mom had been wanting to go to Marie's Crisis, a gay piano bar, and literally we looked up from Big Gay Icecream and Marie's Crisis was two doors down. How fitting, no?

I think I died and went to heaven a little bit that night. We walk down the stairs and "Under the Sea" is playing. Everyone is gathered around the piano with a drink in their hand singing along, and they ALL have good voices. I killed the vibe a little.

Songs from Les Miserables and Wicked were sung. Of course I sang "No One Mourns the Wicked" at the top of my lungs. Many people in the bar were in shows off-Broadway and they all knew each other somehow. If you're into musicals, this is the place to be.

Marie's Crisis is in a basement and it is always so funny to me how in New York you could never know what was going on above or below you unless you look.

No comments:

Post a Comment