Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Bryant Park, Freedom Tower & Elphaba

To start our second to last week in New York we made lists upon lists of things we still wanted to do, things we wanted to see, and places we wanted to eat, and we mapped each day out perfectly. On the list for Monday after work was to go see a free movie in Bryant Park.

Many people ask me why I love New York so much and sometimes I can't put it into words. It's the rush of the city, how there is always something to do, and so much more. Being in Bryant Park underneath the huge building lights with families and their children, lovers, and single people (hi), made me appreciate this city so much. Another event checked off the bucket list. It is funny to think my first meal in the city was in Bryant Park.
Tuesday, my day off of work, was bound & determined to be a good day. I began my day solo, which I surprising like in this big city. My destination was the World Trade Center Memorial Museum that recently opened in May. I was a little nervous to go. To me I felt a little weird paying to see and hear things about that day, but then after talking to my parents it all made sense that I had to go - it was the biggest event that happened during my life so far.

I was so happy I went. Happy sounds like a weird word to describe such a tragedy, but then museum was so well-done. I was there for about 3 hours.

In the beginning you walk in and there are photos of people's reactions to the twin towers being hit. The photos leave you speechless. To know now just how small this city is, and to think of how many people knew someone in those buildings, or even close in that area, is really just unreal.

The next few parts of the museum you are allowed to take photos in. There are pieces of the firetrucks, some structural pieces, photos, and a wall with a powerful quite by Virgil.
After looking at these pieces, you walk in doors to the actual museum, where no photography is allowed. The museum walks you through each minute of the events happening - the World Trade Center buildings, the Pentagon, and the plane that landed in the field.


No one talks during the museum, it's so powerful and beautifully done. So many artifacts from the twin towers being hit are on display, you get chills looking at almost everything. One of the most memorable videos I watched was when Matt Lauer from the Today Show finds out about the first building being hit. Other videos are played throughout that you have to walk into different rooms for, some are graphic so that is why you have to actually make the choice to enter.

During the museum I was surprised I did not cry. It brings so many feelings all at once, not many people did. Seeing shoes people took off so they could run faster brings strange emotions, seeing photographs of people absolutely covered in dust makes you cringe, and seeing photos of people jumping out of the windows make you feel a little weak.

The museum walks you through a large timeline, ending with dedications to the people whose lives were taken and what the World Trade Center site was like when people were still looking for their family members.

If anyone visits New York, I would highly recommend visiting this museum. It is so informative and beautifully done. You really do leave speechless. Now after the museum the Freedom Tower means so much more, and this city as a family is incredible.
Tuesday night I checked another event off of my bucket list, yes that's right, three down in 24 hours. Susanna, Frances and I saw Wicked on Broadway. Even though I had seen Wicked before, I knew it was not going to be the same experience that I had in Nashville that was provided by the Gershwin Theatre. Susanna and I had bought tickets that weekend and Fran was unsure about wanting to go, then the day of decided she would try the lottery that night for a $30 front row seat. Luck was on her side that night, her name was drawn! We were so happy that all of us got to go.


Wicked is everything I could ever want in a musical and more. The story is so entertaining and the songs are addicting. Everyone from high school knows my obsession with Wicked. I've kept it more under-wraps in college, but Tuesday night it was fully unleashed & I was on cloud nine.


My face was probably priceless when: Elphaba and Galinda put on the green glasses in Oz while singing "One Short Day," when Elphaba flies during "Defying Gravity" and this Elphaba even did the wheezing like Idina (bless her asthma), and when Elphaba and Glinda sing "For Good." The musical was everything I remembered it to be, but seeing it on Broadway just made it even more special.

I sang along with every song in my head and now the soundtrack is still on repeat, one week later. (Still wondering why I can't sing and why I don't have the jawline like Idina.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment