Monday, July 7, 2014

Fireworks, Rainy Brunch & Souvineers

The debate of staying in New York vs. traveling to either: home, D.C. or Turks & Caicos (we can dream, right?). New York City won and we were all so happy we made that choice. I'm sure if you've seen the movie Something Borrowed you remember the scene where they talk about how the city clears out for the Fourth of the July. The rumors were true and the city was empty -- it was eerily quite, but we kinda liked it.
Thursday the 3rd was a half day at work; we got off at 1 pm.The day wasn't too busy because no one was needing jewelry at magazines or for photo shoots the day before the 4th. I had to stay after a little to wait on handbags being delivered from Elle. Towards the last 30 minutes of our day the office was so fun and talkative. I just love the people I work with. Everyone was picking out jewelry for the weekend, talking about plans, offering advice & laughing and listening to music. Life is good at Dannijo let me tell ya.
 Bergdorf's neighbor, The Plaza, not too shabby
Life got better interning at Dannijo when I went to Bergdorf's. After work I met with Susanna at the apartment and we went to Bergdorf's to look at the Dannijo jewelery sold there. The 5th floor was magical. Yes, that's right, magical. I talked to the sales ladies there and got some great feedback. It was so fun!

Thursday night we all debated going out but with the torrential downpour that hit the entire city, we decided to be teenage girls and lay around, eat and talk and giggle. Cute roomies we are. We were resting up for our long weekend ahead to celebrate!

Friday morning it was rainy and cold as we ventured to brunch at the Tipsy Parson. I was way too excited for this and let me tell you, it was a let down. The food wasn't that great and the biscuit was not my grandma's homemade biscuit. The company, as always, was priceless. We went shopping in SoHo for a bit during the rain, then headed back to get ready for the night because PTL it stopped raining finally.

 At night to watch the fireworks we went to The Standard rooftop. It was incredible. We could see the Empire State Building lit up red, white and blue to one side, and Freedom Tower on the other. Also we could see all sides of the city's fireworks. It was definitely a moment and I sat up there thinking how incredible this summer has been so far and how thankful I am to have been offered this opportunity. I think sometimes I get wrapped up in this city and I always need to remind myself when I forget I'm in New York, that I am here and this is just unreal.


 Au revoir, Jamie!
Saturday morning we said goodbye to Jamie for the rest of the summer, our bebe dolphin and lead singer, and also Frances went home for the weekend. Susan and Chan, play time in the city. We decided to do a little redecorating and surprise Fran, and also our new roomie that was to move in the next day. These are the things we bought to hang in the room: an American flag, 3 photos of Barack Obama (yes, that's right), Laduree cards, a Coney Island map, a MoMA brochure, Baked by Melissa cupcake cards, a Columbia map, The Smile card, and Georgetown cards.

In the afternoon after buying the most random $1 goodies from Times Square, Susanna and I went to Columbia and pretended to be students. Except by pretending to be students we mean that we got no where because all the buildings were locked. We did get to layout on the grass though which was nice.

The 4th was unexpected in everything we did but we had a great time! It was said to see Jamie leave, but we all had a great 6 weeks together as Jamis and the Intramurals, our girl band. As much as I wanted to travel for the Fourth of July, I'm glad I stayed in the city because who doesn't love this place?! Once again, a New York weekend for the win.

No comments:

Post a Comment