Sunday, June 15, 2014

Mississippi & the Genie

Another week has come and gone in the city. It's unreal that I've been here for three weeks now and at the end of this work week, I will have lived here for one month! Time really is flying and I feel like my summer is slipping away even though it is only mid-June because there is still so much I want to do and see.
late night cookie dough because being an adult is hard
 
This past week at work was great again. I promised myself when I began this summer blogging experience that I would be transparent and if I had a day where I hated work, hated the city or had a bad day, I would tell about it. I think sometimes social media can twist reality because why would anyone ever Instagram a boring day or when they're upset? Thankfully and many answered prayers later though, I can say that I really do love my job at Dannijo. The days are packed and busy & I run around sometimes like a chicken with my head cut off, but I wouldn't trade a day there for anything.


Susanna's parents were in town this weekend for Mississippi in the Park and just to visit, and it was so nice seeing familiar faces in the city. The fab four roomies plus her parents went to dinner Wednesday night where we had way too many courses (nom), went shopping in SoHo, and then Saturday we all went to Mississippi in the Park in Central Park. It was a section of Central Park sectioned off and there were tents for Ole Miss, State, Southern Miss and the W. Also a lot of Mississippi cities had tents like Jackson, Tupelo and Brookhaven. It was a little slice of home (halfway home for me I guess) and I loved seeing such sweet southerners. I never thought there was a real difference between the North and the South, but there 100% is.

During Mississippi in the Park Susanna's sweet parents let us take their tickets to Aladdin with Susanna instead of them going. IT WAS SO GOOD!! The magic carpet ride literally was magic. Whatever they used to make that fly, it tricked us all. The genie was hilarious too. He sang a Disney medley which was so great, and everything that he said was so funny. He was definitely my favorite person in the play! Plus I just love a good musical. Also the colors in the set and costumes were unreal. I absolutely loved the play!



Saturday night we went out in meatpacking to The Brass Monkey and the Beer Garden at The Standard. Night life in New York is like no other night life, and let me tell you, it's hard to keep up. I guess I am just used to the Oxford scene where on a Saturday night the bar closes at 12. In New York, midnight is like the beginning of the night. I'm like, grandma over here is normally in bed.


Today we slept late, wandered around where we live and to Washington Square Park, got popsicles and planned out our week. The Dannijo sample sale is this week and we have team bonding, which I could not be more excited about. To sum up my NYC feelings so far, I really am in love with this city. I find myself never walking and looking down at my phone, instead I am constantly looking up because everything here is beautiful. I love my walks home from work every day and I love wandering alone sometimes too because it's a moment to myself.





No comments:

Post a Comment