Sunday, June 29, 2014

Brooklyn & Overalls

I have found another city I'm in love with: Brooklyn

Saturday morning I was off to check another event off of my New York City bucket list and that was to go to Smorgasburg in Brooklyn. Frances, Lizzy, Susanna and I hopped on the L and headed across the river to Brooklyn around lunch time. I finally got to wear my overalls that I had been saving for this day; trying to be hip, ya know?

The food at Smorgasburg is a dream. There is every food there you could ever want, plus more. You can get ramen burgers, ice cream cookie sandwiches, home made french fries, lobster rolls, mac-n-cheese, pigs in a blanket, spring rolls, macarons and more. We took a lap around the grounds before deciding what we wanted. I chose the french fries, Lizzy & Fran got the lobster roll and Susanna got piggies in a blanket. We sat at a picnic table by the river and looked at the Manhattan skyline.


After hanging out and soaking up some sun, aka my favorite past time, I then got a "Goodwich" which was incredible. It was two cookies with ice cream in between with drizzled chocolate over it. I didn't even get to take a photo because it was so hot outside so it was melting. I chose eating it over taking a photo, which I know was the best choice. 
Every where I looked in Brooklyn there was cool street art. There were also people selling clothes on the streets. The clothes were hung in fences. Some places were a little creepy; like naked Barbie dolls and baby dolls without heads. Others were cool though, the clothes were just not my style and who knows where they actually came from.


After our time was done at Smorgasburg, Susanna and I went to the Artists & Flea market. This was a dream too. The only thing bad about this flea market is that every shirt I picked up was $150; like the sad vintage Rolling Stones concert tee that I found. Betsy Kate if you're out there reading this, you would have loved the shirt.

The jewelry was awesome at the flea market too. There were rings that said "New York" across them, necklaces that said "Flawless" (@Beyonce) and best friend bracelets that said "Best Bitches." The people who were selling there were really talented. My favorite was a girl who does 3D printing and then shrinks them, then putting them on necklaces. There were jellyfish, stingrays, baby rhinos and more. I wanted them all. To look at her stuff, you can see it on sterndesignworks.com.

The one thing I did buy was art prints, shocker. I bought three prints on dictionary pages with an animal printed on them too. It was an octopus, a butterfly and a lion. I searched high and low for great records too, but is it my own problem or their problem that there were no Celine Dion ones?

Brooklyn was too cool for school and that was not my first and last trip there. The little cafes on the streets, the people walking around and the atmosphere there was perfect & right up my alley. Good job, Brooklyn.


No comments:

Post a Comment